Sunday, November 12, 2006

Football Misery

I don't know why every weekend I still allow my hopes to spring up. Seriously. The Tigers were playing UCF, a team with a similarly disappointing season. Maybe we could make it happen. Mr. Incredible and I did not make use of our season tickets and instead watched the game on TV, for several reasons, including the cold snap that overtook Memphis yesterday, the fact that the Tigers are Sultans of Suck, neither one of us was feeling particularly good, and the game was conveniently (and unusually) televised which seemed to be a sign from the heavens that we should just stay home (plus, that way we got to switch channels and watch the Vols lose to the Hogs. Sweet!). So anyway. After the game opened with two 3-and-outs for the Tigers and two touchdowns for the Golden Knights, I thought it was going to be another humiliating blowout debacle. But the Tigers pulled it together and we were tied up at 17 at the half. At that point, I allowed it to happen. I allowed that little part of me to take over, the part that can't give up the optimism. And with two minutes left in the game, the Tigers were down by 2 points and had the ball. Right then, I just knew we were going to win. The losing streak was over.

I was wrong. Again. We lost. Again. Thank goodness basketball starts on Thursday. Finally.

Favorite football name of the week: Karibi Dede (thanks to Mya Pinyan for finding him)
Favorite combination of football names on the same field (from week one's Ark v. USC game): Nutt, Dick, and Booty

No comments: