Sunday, November 26, 2006

Hoopla

Sweet Lord, I was excited.

It was the first half of the game against Georgia Tech last Tuesday night. The Tigers looked incredible. Even when they were sloppy (or even sloopy, right you-know-who-you-are?) they were ass-kickin'. I liked the new unis. I liked the gameplan. I liked the swagger. I loved that they look like they're having FUN. I did wish we'd make more of our free throws. Pierre Niles? He is huge. Enormous. Just... huge. Chris "Buckets" Douglas-Roberts? My new favorite (old favorite being Rodney Carney, gone to the NBA). Jeremy Hunt? Earning redemption. At halftime, the Tigers were up by sixteen and still rolling.

Then came the second half. And I have nothing to say about that.

So the Tigers managed to lose to Georgia Tech. But the next day they did beat Kentucky, and the season is now in full swing. I can't wait for March. I hope whatever job I get (*knock on wood*) will understand that I need to be off for the Madness. It's just the way it is.

To clarify the degree of my Tiger dedication, I give the following information: there was a ten season span between when I started at U of M as a freshman and when I finished law school (yes, ahem, that's longer than usually required). During those ten seasons, I missed maybe five home games. Maybe. I've been waiting a long long time, my friends. I've paid my dues. I am NOT a fair-weather fan. And every year, I think, "this could be the year." But really, this year? This COULD be the year. ;)

Also? The University of Memphis FOOTBALL Tigers won a game. Yes, I'll say it again. They WON A GAME. The last game of the season. It wasn't on TV. I didn't see it happen. But according to ESPN.com, the Tigers beat UTEP last night 38 to 19, and in the process acted the spoiler and prevented UTEP from being bowl eligible. So, I say Go Tigers. And? There's always another season right around the corner. See you in September.

Also also? I hate watching sports not in HD. I've gotten so spoiled that I keep thinking the focus is blurry on regular shows.


No comments: